Thursday 16 October 2014

1/72 T-20 Komsomolets Soviet armored tractor


Quite a while ago I mentioned that the Latvian company North Star was working on a prototype for a true 1/72 model of the T-20 Komsomolets Soviet armoured tractor. This little vehicle - akin to the British Bren Carrier - was quite prevalent as a light AT gun tow in the Red Army at the beginning of WW2, but most importantly considerable numbers of them were captured by the Finn's during the ill-fated Russian incursion during The Winter War (1939-40).

Well, wonderful news. North Star have now released this model and it's an absolute beauty!

Picture source: North Star models
Picture Source: North Star models
For saying that it's such a small and somewhat insignificant vehicle (in terms of it's importance and role in WW2) North Star have poured a hell of a lot of superbly and very finely modelled detail into this tiny kit. It is a mix of resin components with photo-etched fine detailed parts and is firmly aimed at the display modeller and collector - this is in no way a war gaming quality model (if you seek that I'm afraid you will still have to make do with the 20mm incarnations made by MMS, SHQ or Shellhole Scenics).

Naturally I am particularly keen to get my hands on a true 1/72 model, principally because the vehicle is so small anyway that using a 20mm (1/76) model next to my other 1/72 vehicles would make it look all the more insubstantial and a bit silly. And because it was a vehicle that is so synonymous with the Finnish Army in WW2 I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the premium asking price of $42 for one!

It will be very interesting to compare the 1/72 North Star T-20 with the very nice 20mm version made by MMS. Bearing in mind that I need three of these tiny vehicles if the size difference turns out to be negligible then I may stick with MSS for the remaining models I require.

(By the way, the North Star kit comes with decals for captured German examples!)

Full details are available on the North Star website: https://northstarmodels.com/

Link to my previous posts on the other makes of model T-20s that are available:
- Keeping things in proportion - SHQ 20mm T-20
- Shellhole Scenics 20mm T-20 review
- MMS T-20 Komsomolet in 20mm - white metal done right!

4 comments:

  1. While it's also definitely a Wargames model, Lancer miniatures have released a 1/72 Komsomlets since your last attempts at the subject - while I haven't got any myself, I've heard nothing but good things about their T-26 range, so hopefully the T20s will be to the same standard!

    http://lancerminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=102&sort=20a&alpha_filter_id=84

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Greebs! And many thanks, I've just ordered the Lancer T-20. Let's see what it's like.

      I think I'm on a bit of a quest to find the 'ultimate' T-20! ;)

      Delete
  2. Well, I want this little one! Amazing detail, love the PE tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's lovely Florin. The tracks are amazing... I may just have to close my eyes when I click 'buy'! Let's hope the wife doesn't find out! ;)

      Delete