Friday 20 May 2016

Next: Tiger's Cartoon 'CUTE Series' P-40 Warhawk

Felt I needed a little change of pace and I happened to see a few examples of Tiger's warplane caricature models on Facebook's The Plastic Scale Model Making Group (which I recommend as it's a very friendly group).

I found the Tiger models easily enough on eBay and at £10 (free postage) from China and quickly ordered one, about 10 days later this arrived...


These models really caught my imagination and they offer a more relaxed approach to scale modelling (as with fantasy modelling, no matter what you do nobody can tell you that you're doing it 'wrong'). Just what I needed after doing 'historic' modelling where you are constantly second-guessing yourself and how 'authentic' your modelling is.

Obviously, there isn't really a scale to these I don't think, but here's a shot of the sprues so you can get an idea of the size...

The length of the fuselage is 8.7cm.
I did have a bit of a puzzle as to which of this series to buy, they all look 'cute'. In the end, I went for an old favourite - the P-40 Warhawk - but if this works out I would be very tempted to get one or two more in the series...




The model comes with a rather nice colour pattern, but you could do any scheme you wanted really (see sample below). I also think, your could look to your decal scraps box as P-40 was used by a large number of nations...


Funnily enough, the kit comes with two types of decal - conventional water-slide decals and some self-adhesive 'stickers'. This is great for younger modellers as these kits would make for fun projects for the kids.

I haven't decided whether to stick with the iconic 'Flying Tigers' scheme or do something else - I'll have to have a think (and check what spare decals I have if I want to do something different).  It's quite exciting to think of all the options.

Here's an example (from the Tiger publicity) of a possible scheme, and very nice it looks too...


Hope mine turns out as nice!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been and checked, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't have tackled a subject such as the Brewster Buffalo... given that's pretty much what they already look like! ;)

    ReplyDelete