Saturday 14 July 2012

Altaya Steyr RSO/01 diecast model



The German prime mover and Pak40 diecast model set I ordered from eBay arrived today and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. Altaya may not be thought to be as good quality as Dragon when it comes to diecast collectors models, but for war gaming purposes its ideal.

I'm still working out my plan for repainting this vehicle as an example of one of the batch that was sold by Germany to Finland during WW2. But looking at it a couple of coats of Humbrol acrylic spray might suffice (with appropriate masking of course).


I've no information at all about markings or numbering of these tractors in Finnish use and I will be going with a generic Finnish light green finish. But the model is crying out for a tilt cover (tarp) to be made to go over the rear struts.

The accompanying Pak40 - which I needed to complete my 3 gun AT battery - will need some work to convert it from it's travelling arrangement into a firing position. I will have to saw or cut the gun 'legs' so that they open up and there is a annoying screw fixing post on the bottom of the gun which will have to be removed as well. It will need repainting mid-green to match my other two Finnish Pak40s.


I don't intend to buy any more of these, it was a one-off purchase because it represented a good deal as I happened to need both the truck and the gun. The other two heavy towing vehicles I need to go with my Soviet 122mm howitzers will be conversions of ICM's Zil-157 truck kit.

But I have to admit that this Steyr will make an impressive addition to my heavy artillery company!


No comments:

Post a Comment