Monday 11 November 2013

Battle of Berlin vignette, Part 6

I decided to start the painting stage of my Battle of Berlin back-drop with a pretty heavy black wash. I wanted to get a lot of 'dirt' into all the nooks and crannies. For a change I used a Humbrol matt enamel and made a very thin wash using quite a lot of thinners.

My plan is to lay down dry brushed coats on top of this, so I wanted the darkest layer first - with all the little cracks and crevasses heavily shaded. To be honest - as usual - I am just playing this all by ear, but I figured it was best just to slap on the wash and see what happened...


I don't think it's too bad a start - I kinda want a 'dirty' looking vignette. The wash worked particularly well with the plaster wall...


Now, I think I will start by dry-brushing the building's wall, pavement and road and then I will start painting the detail with a little more care.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, the cobblestone maybe a little overscaled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm afraid that my cheap model railway cobbles are not correct. Still, for a first try they will do. I will be taking authenticity a bit more seriously in future projects.

      Delete