Thursday 27 February 2014

The best laid plans, etc...BA-10 problems

Funny thing about doing a scale model hobby blog is that you have a tendency to highlight the successes rather than the failures. I don't think it's deliberate, it's just that people like looking at interesting or nice models. Well, anyway, by way of balance here's a tale of one of my 'mishaps'...


If you model then you know what a 'Ping!' is. It's fairly self-explanatory if you have tried making small plastic models - it's when you are working with a very small part or cutting it off a sprue when...'Ping!' Off it flies, who knows where. Certainly I can never seem to find them again.

I blame my 'Ping!' episodes on my big porky sausage fingers...I really should use tweezers more often (note to self).

Anyhoo, 'Ping!' went the passenger's side side-step thing and despite a good search it was never heard of again. So I had to make one. I guess - actually - this is a positive thing and shows how I have improved a little as a modeller because I didn't panic (I did use an expletive) but philosophically thought out how to make a replacement part.

Luckily this was a simple small part, with not a lot of detail...Otherwise I would have been scuppered! :)

3 comments:

  1. I admire your pursuit of detail. I'd not have lost that part - it would still be securely attached to the sprue in the spares box.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the "Ping!" effect. Someone wrote in a different blog that tiny plastic eating monsters are living in the carpet and under the bed and other furniture, that's why you won't be able to find such fallen parts "missing in action" - those parts are eaten and lost forever.

    ReplyDelete