Tuesday 18 March 2014

1939 Chevrolet conversion - Part 5

Grill and bonnet completed!


Just a small update, but a significant one, as this marks the completion of the main part of the conversion for this vehicle. As the grill and bonnet modifications are the most important features which characterise the difference between the 1941 Chevy and the earlier model I want it's probably an apt moment to pause and take stock...


Well, I'm quite satisfied - anyway, it looks OK (hopefully)! But there are now a whole new list of jobs to do as I must start to think about modifications to the 1943 Ford cab to make it look more 'Chevy' now! Not least of these is to match the bonnet line, as the panel line on the cab is higher up the door. And then there is the small matter of the windshield.

However, there is another reason I am stopping at this point. What I would like to do is have my bonnet work duplicated in resin if possible as I want a couple of these trucks in my collection and I really don't fancy having to do all that scratch work again!

I'm sending the bonnet up to my brother and asking him if it can be copied as a one-piece in resin and if so I will get him to knock off a couple of duplicates. I will keep the conversion as a sort of 'master' should I need any 1939 Chevys again in the future.

In the meantime I shall turn my attention to the chassis and the remainder of the work that needs to be done with the PST part of this model to make the 'stake truck' cargo bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment