Wednesday 18 June 2014

German Squad B - Detailing

I did a bit more to my little Germans last night, this involved picking out the details and finishing off the rifles. We're very nearly there though...



At this point it's perhaps interesting to compare one of my early attempts at one of my 'Squad A' Germans with one of these latest examples...

Early attempt at these figures on the left, latest figure on right.
I think my technique has visibly improved somewhat, certainly the level of detail has gone up a notch. But I still feel that this current technique - based on tutorials in the 'Painting War' magazine - is a little long winded and could be streamlined to suit my requirements better. I really don't want to spend this much time on painting figures when I suspect that skipping one or two of the tutorial's convoluted intermediate stages will still get me a happy medium between the two results shown above.


Next: Weathering the camo helmet covers and then basing.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely figures. The detail and splinter is much better on the second batch. I must admit that I prefer the lighter tunic and trousers of the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for commenting. I agree with you, I prefer my method of painting the uniform - going from a light base coat - to the PW method - of starting with a dark base coat. So I have four figures left to do to complete 'Squad B' and I will do these by combining my way of doing the uniforms with PW's detailing and camo technique - hopefully this will be quicker to do and look good! Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent paint job here! I like the highlights. Cheers Per

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! :) The highlighting is a new aspect of my painting that I have learned - it does make a big difference (as you can see with the photo of the early model next to my latest model).

      Delete