Sunday 12 October 2014

Pegasus 1/72 German Army Truck - Part 8

Mercedes L3000s stuck in the mud. Source: Autogallery.org.ru

Nearing the finishing line! (I always find this stage of making a model both exciting and rather disappointing. Sometimes I almost hate finishing a model because I have enjoyed the modelling process so much...Which is probably why I have a lot of unfinished models laying around my workbench!)


All that's left to do on my Pegasus German Army trucks is fit the 'windows'. And this is probably the fiddliest part.

As mentioned in my introduction to this project, the Pegasus 'quick build' trucks do not come with any transparent plastic parts for windows or headlamps. As these models are predominantly designed for use by war-gamers the notion is that widows are rather superfluous (or that the war gamer may opt to fill in the cab as a solid component and paint on faux windscreens).

I, however, am trying to make these pieces look more like display models so am adding some home made windscreens. The process is simple really - cut out some spare transparent plastic and glue the pieces into place. But for what it's worth here is my procedure for doing this...

1. Draw window template.


I do this with a good point of a pencil onto a piece of masking tape so I get as close to the edges of the window-frame as possible. You can see how the pencil has pushed in the tape so I actually get an impression of the inside of the frame.

2. Transfer outline to transparent plastic.


I trace the shape of the window frame onto the transparent plastic. When I began modelling I bought sheets of transparent modelling plastic, that was before I realised that just as good quality plastic can be found on the blister-packs of much of our shopping!

3. Fitting the window panes.


The first window pane you do will need a bit of sanding to fit exactly. But once you have done this simply use this window as the template for your second side-window. By the way, the masking tape tabs are just to stop the windows falling into the cab (which is annoying), they also help hold the windows in place once they are glued.

For glue I use a PVA derivative called Formula '560' Canopy Glue by Pacer. I'm still not entirely convinced that this is any better than good old fashioned PVA, but the claim is that it dries 'crystal clear'. But I have found this is down to how much you use - the more there is the less likely it is to dry perfectly clear.

Lastly, I am considering doing some windscreen wipers and so might want to paint on some muck and dust so that you see where the wipers have wiped! What could possibly go wrong? :)

Next: Well, the next time you see these trucks they should be finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment