Sunday 2 April 2017

28mm Buildings - Part 3

Moving along...
My test model proceeding well, the rest of the buildings are primed and ready to follow the same painting process. However, two of the buildings are of a slightly different construction and need some work on their integral bases...


The bases on these models extended beyond the footprint of the buildings themselves, so I decided to add some grit and sand texturing...


This was simply a mixture of fine sand and fish tank gravel and PVA. Hopefully, it will look like rough ground once it's been dry brushed later.

Start at the top...
Well, you have to start somewhere, so I began with the roof components of the models. I've started a bit of a production line and I will work through the models floor by floor, inside and then out, as I did with my test model.


I am varying the colour schemes, and the colours are a little dazzling for a military modeller who is used to working with dull drab earth tones and olive greens. But, it's rather a fun change to be working with pastels, but to keep me right I am doing a lot Googling and referencing photographs.

Amusingly, because of this I have added a selection of paints and colours to my inventory that I probably wouldn't have otherwise thought of buying! (But they will be very handy, as I also have my own 1/72 French WW2 buildings to make...Eventually.)

Production Line
As you can see, I making this up as I go along as I am not a prolific wargame modeller. But, it's pretty obvious that the best way to tackle this project - because of the limited timescale - was to create a little production line, rather than trying to paint one house at a time...


Though, even my newly cleared workbench is struggling a bit with the scale and number of models in this current project. This causes some log-jams, occasionally, as I work through the various buildings with a colour I wish to apply to several of the models (like the floor or wall colours, etc).

Test Model Complete
Meanwhile (there's so much going on at the same time), I have completed the basic painting of my original test model. No weathering has been done on this building as I want to get all the models to this same stage as it is the bare minimum acceptable state of completion that might do for the demo game. IF I manage to get all six buildings to this state by mid-week (at a push), then I will consider doing some basic weathering on them. I could, however, always add more intense weathering effects after the demo game has been completed.


Onwards, ever onwards...

No comments:

Post a Comment